Monday, July 5, 2010

Vampire Health

Recently, I've been getting into vampire movies, maybe because they fit my sleeping schedule. The latest has been the "Twilight" trilogy. I thought it looked kind of like a "chick-flick" with an adventure-movie edge, and seeing as I love adventure movies, and have a soft-spot for romance films, I gave it a shot. I was not disappointed, and can't wait to see the third movie.

I've also started reading Joseph Campbell again, which coincides with this monster-movie craze, and kind of puts a more life-relevant view on it. Let's face it: All of us have monster sides. I think we've all heard of the zombies, who are the masses - people who basically live their lives with no passion, wasting away in front of a TV with idle addictions. I've found myself wondering since reading Campbell and watching vampire and werewolf flicks: What monster am I? And to answer this question, you don't want to limit yourself to werewolves and vampires. You gotta really do research. Here's a list of monsters I found. I've never heard of the wibbly-woo. Apparently, it's a bovine monster with flexible limbs. So, if you like to eat grass and do yoga, you might be a wibbly-woo.

Summoning the monster within is healthy. I've heard scientific studies that suggest that people who work nights have shorter life-spans. But vampires live hundreds of years. I've always compared people who work out regularly to vampires, because there are concrete physical and chemical changes that occur in your entire body and especially in your brain. Aside from my #1 "professional hobby" of mambo, I have to join the gym again and retap the monster within. Luckily, we have a 24-hour fitness center downtown. Working the night audit, one must stay healthy.

No comments: