Monday, August 2, 2010

A Conversation with GOD

A friend of mine has started a self-improvement movement called PWNing life. His challenge really requires an entirely new blog, but I figure I can put something here in my career blog, too. So, one of the first things he did was put out a question: What would you do if God floated into your room and...

GOD: Hey, Elliot. No matter what you do, you'll be successful.
ME: Yeah, but...
GOD: Dude! I'm GOD. I got you.
ME: OK, well, I'm gonna be GM at a super pimp hotel... in a cool, wild Asian country. And I wanna be a rock-star dancer with mad dancefloor skills. I wanna be like Marlin Brando in Apocalypse Now, except instead of being the scary asshole weirdo in a cave, I wanna be the positive, cool and super pimp at a classy hotel on the beach.
Then I wanna open my own hotel chain based on the Japanese capsule-hotel/jacuzzi/spa model; and the motto is "The American perfection of a Japanese tradition." It's for budget travellers who wanna cheap, super-clean place to crash and experience the sento bath and all the different herbal pools with a view of the city they're in (the herbal sento is always on the top floor with a view).
GOD: Got it. Keep moving toward this goal, and I'll send you cues. When I give you a cue, ACT. Oh, and ignore the bullshit. There's lots of bullshit. Just ignore it.
ME: You mean like that bullshit? What bullshit? Huh?
GOD: Exactly. You're on the right track.
ME: I wanna play the congas, too. And I want a black-belt in BJJ. And I want a super social life with lots of cool interesting people who are artists, thinkers and shakers and linchpins. And a crazy mad hot sex life with girls that blow my mind.
GOD: Is that all?
ME: ... a million dollars.
GOD: That's it?
ME: a billion dollars - I mean a billion purchasing-power dollars. Geary-Khamis dollars. I  mean, just really fucking wealthy.
GOD: Of course.
ME: GM pimp, hotel owner, dancer, martial-artist, mad socialite, conguero, gazillionaire.
GOD: That's all good. For now I want you to remember: Baby steps. You take baby steps and keep focused on your goals. With each step, I'll reciprocate with cues and clues that will replenish you, inspire you, and show you where to take the next step. You gotta keep moving. Tell me what door to open, and I'll open it, but I can't drag you through the door. All I can do is float around with my head on a cloud. See?
ME: Oh, shit, I forgot. The most important thing is I wanna have lots of fun. Every day. Fulfilling fun.
GOD: So, that will be all of the above goals plus a per-diem of fulfilling fun, is that correct?
ME: Ya.
GOD: You got it, kid.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I got PWNED the last time I tried posting a comment. Something borked up and I lost everything I wrote. >:( I'll be saving things first this time. :)

What I said was that that was a highly entertaining conversation with God! :D It looks like you even inspired someone else to do one after they read yours. You mentioned it in the email and the blog, but I think I agree with you about starting another blog dedicated to pwning life. I think I might do the same thing (even though I have my personal blog already).

Elliot said...

I got my first cue from GOD the day after posting that. It went like this: I was waiting for class outside my dance studio, and a guy from Gracie-Barra came by and asked the girl next to me if she'd be down with taking an all-girl BJJ class. He wasn't soliciting me, but he's from the school I wanna go to.
But this is challenging because 1) I'm broke and 2) I'm already taking 9 dance classes a week at Mambo U.
I think GOD's like: the other goals are gonna take some preparation, but if you want the black belt, the earlier you start the better.

Kevin said...

Yeah, get on the BJJ while your body can still handle it. You can save the dancing for when you're older. That's how I feel about yoga. I'm saving it for my 70's.

A similar exercise from psychiatrist Russ Harris, to help get clear about your values: "Imagine I could wave a magic wand to ensure that you would have the approval and admiration of everyone on the planet, forever. What, in that case, would you choose to do with your life?"